COPDOCK & WASHBROOK TENNIS CLUB
1. Name 1.1 The Club shall be known as the Copdock & Washbrook Tennis & Badminton Club and is hereafter referred to as "the Club". The aim and objective of the Club is to provide the opportunity for tennis to be played by all ages and abilities in a social and competitive atmosphere.
1.2 Defined terms C&WT&BC means Copdock & Washbrook Tennis & Badminton Club LTA means Lawn Tennis Association CLG (the governing body of tennis within Great Britain, Channel Islands & Isle of Man) of National Tennis Centre, Priory Lane, Roehampton, London SW15 5 JQ and its subsidiaries or such successor entity or entities as become the governing body of the game of lawn tennis from time to time;
SLTA means Suffolk Lawn Tennis Association.
‘member’ means a member of the Club
‘rules’ means the rules of the LTA and the Club as in force from time to time
‘Disciplinary Code’ means the disciplinary code of the LTA in force from time to time
1.3. Registration The Club shall register with the LTA as a Place to Play and comply with and uphold the Rules and Regulations of the LTA, SLTA and the C&WT&BC as amended from time to time and the rules and regulations of any body to which the LTA is affiliated.
2. Application of Surplus Funds
2.1 The Club shall be a non-profit-making organisation. All surpluses will be used to maintain or improve the Club's facilities and in furtherance of the Club's objectives. No surplus will be distributed other than to the Members on winding-up and dissolution of the Club.
2.2 Nothing in Clause 2.1 shall prevent the Club from entering an agreement with a member for the supply by him/her to the Club of goods or services or for his/her employment by the Club, provided that such arrangements are approved by the Management Committee (without the member being present) and are agreed with the member on an arm's length basis.
3.1 Membership is open to all persons interested in the objective of the Club and who agree to abide by the rules of the Club.
Approved April 2014
3.2 Subscriptions The annual subscription for each category of Member shall be determined from time to time by the Management Committee.
3.3 Any Member whose subscription is not paid by such date as the Management Committee shall decide each year, shall be deemed to have resigned his/her membership of the Club.
3.4 Each member agrees, as a condition of membership, to be bound by LTA and the Club rules as in force from time to time and to be bound by and subject to the Rules of the Disciplinary Code.
3.5 Para 3.4 confers a benefit on the LTA and is intended to be enforceable by the LTA by virtue of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
3.6 The Management Committee may terminate the membership of any person, or impose any other sanction they determine to be appropriate, in connection with the breach of any condition of membership set out in 3.4 above.
4. Expulsion 4.1 The Management Committee shall have power to expel a Member when, in its opinion, it would not be in the interests of the sport or of the Club for him/her to remain a Member.
4.2 A Member shall not be expelled, unless he/she is given 14 days' written notice of the meeting of the Management Committee at which his/her expulsion shall be considered and written details of the complaint made against him.
4.3 The Member shall be given an opportunity to make written representations and/or to appear before the Management Committee, at any such meeting to be accompanied by a representative or friend, who may answer complaints made against the member and to cross-examine any witnesses on behalf of the member. The member may only be expelled if at least two-thirds of the Management Committee present vote in favour.
4.4 The Management Committee may exclude the Member from the Club's premises until the meeting considering his expulsion has been held.
5. Effect of Resignation or Expulsion Any person ceasing to be a Member forfeits all right to and claim upon the Club, its property and its funds and he has no right to the return of any part of his subscription. however, the Management Committee may refund a proportion of a resigning Member's subscription if it considered appropriate.
Approved April 2014
- The Management Committee 1 The Club shall be managed by a Management Committee consisting of: President Chairman Officer Vice-Chairman Honorary Secretary Officer Honorary Treasurer Officer Four Committee Members
6.2 Election of the Management Committee The Honorary Secretary shall send to the Members each year a nomination form for the election of Officers and Committee Members. Those persons to be nominated as members of the Management Committee must be both proposed and seconded by paid up members and this must be submitted to the Honorary Secretary by the start of the item "Election of Management Committee" at the Annual General Meeting. No Member may nominate more than one candidate for any one post.
6.3 If there is only one candidate nominated to fill any particular position, that candidate can be declared elected unopposed for that vacancy at the Annual General Meeting. If there is more than one candidate for any particular post there shall be an election at the AGM. In the event of a tie, the outgoing Chairman shall have a casting vote.
6.4 The Management Committee shall have the power to co-opt further Members at any time who shall serve until the next Annual General Meeting. Co-opted members shall be entitled to vote at the meetings of the Management Committee.
6.5 The Club requires each member of the Management Committee, as a condition of election or appointment, to agree to be bound by and subject to LTA rules, the Rules of the Disciplinary Code, such agreement to contain an express acknowledgement that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 applies and that the LTA and the Club can enforce any breach at its option and in its sole discretion.
7. Proceedings of the Management Committee 7.1 Management Committee meetings shall be held as often as the Management Committee thinks fit provided that there shall not be less than 3 meetings each year. The quorum for such meetings shall be 5, with at least 2 Officers present. The Chairman together with the Honorary Secretary shall have discretion to call emergency meetings of the Management Committee. The Honorary Secretary shall give all the members of the Management Committee not less than 7 days' notice of any meeting.
7.2 The Chairman shall preside at meetings of the Management Committee, or if not present, another Officer or a member should be elected to chair the meeting.
7.3 Decisions of the Management Committee shall be made by a simple majority and in the event of a tie of votes the Chairman of the meeting shall have a casting vote.
Approved April 2014
7.4 The Management Committee may set up any Sub-Committee and delegate to them such powers and duties as the Management Committee may determine. All SubCommittees shall periodically report their proceedings to the Management Committee.
7.5 Members of the Management Committee or any member acting upon its direction shall be entitled to an indemnity from the assets of the Club for any expenses and other liabilities properly incurred by them in the duties prescribed.
- 8. Annual General Meeting
- 8.1 The AGM of the Club shall be held within 13 months of the preceding AGM by the latest 30th April The Meeting shall: (a) Receive the Chairman's report of the activities of the Club during the previous year. (b) Receive and consider the Treasurer's report and Examined Accounts of the Club for the previous year. (c) Appoint an Accounts Examiner for the forthcoming year. (d) Elect the Officers and other members of The Management Committee. (e) Receive any special matters which the Management Committee desires to bring before the membership. (f) Decide upon any resolution which may be duly submitted in accordance with Rule 2 below.
8.2 Notice of any resolution proposed and seconded by Members to be considered at the Annual General Meeting, shall be given in writing to the Honorary Secretary prior to the start the meeting.
- 9. Extraordinary General Meeting. An EGM may be called at any time by the Management Committee and also shall be called within 21 days of receipt by the Honorary Secretary of a requisition in writing signed by not less than 15 Members stating the purposes for which the meeting is required and the resolution[s] proposed.
- Procedures for calling General Meetings 1 The Honorary Secretary shall send to each Member at his/her home address notice of the date of the General Meeting.
10.2 The quorum for the General Meetings shall be 8 Members, to include 2 Officers in the case of the AGM.
10.3 The Chairman shall preside at General Meetings but if not present another Officer shall chair the meeting. If no Officers are present at an EGM then those present shall elect a Chairman of the meeting.
10.4 Each paid up Member present shall have one vote per resolution which shall be passed by a simple majority vote. The chairman of the meeting shall have a casting vote.
Approved April 2014
10.5 The Honorary Secretary, or in his/her absence an elected member, shall take minutes of the meeting.
11. Alteration of the Constitution The Constitution may only be altered by resolution at an Annual General or Extraordinary General Meeting.
12. Regulations and Standing Orders The Management Committee shall have power to make, repeal and amend such regulations and standing orders as it may from time to time consider necessary for the wellbeing of the Club.
13. Finance 13.1 All monies payable to the Club shall be received by the Honorary Treasurer and such monies shall be deposited in a bank account in the name of the Club. No sum shall be drawn from that account except by cheque signed by two of three signatories who shall normally be the Chairman, Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer. Monies not required for current use to be invested as the Management Committee prescribe.
13.2 The Management Committee shall have the power to authorise the payment of remuneration and expenses to any Officer, member of the Management Committee, Member or employee of the Club and to any other person or persons for services rendered to the Club.
13.3 Full accounts of the financial affairs of the Club shall be prepared each year and duly examined, and a full audit carried out every 3 years. These accounts be made available to every Member accompanying the notice of the AGM.
- 14. Borrowing. The Management Committee may borrow an amount on behalf of the Club for the purposes of the Club from time to time. A sanction of a majority of members at the AGM or any EGM is required to endorse such borrowing.
- 15. Dissolution of The Club. 15 .1 A resolution to dissolve the Club shall be proposed only at an Extraordinary General Meeting and shall be passed only if carried by a majority of at least three quarters of the paid-up Members present.
15.2 The dissolution shall take effect from the date of the resolution and the members of the Management Committee shall be responsible for the winding-up of the assets and liabilities of the Club.
15.3 After all due liabilities have been settled, the remaining funds shall be distributed equally amongst the current paid up senior members of the Club.
Approved April 2014
- 16. Tennis Court Rules The following rules are to be followed by all using the courts. Any breach to these are subject to the discretion of the Management Committee to take the appropriate action.
- (i) Any accidental damage to be reported to a Management Committee Member. (ii) In the event of hot or wet weather affecting the court surface, the decision whether or not to play shall be made by a Committee member. (iii) Nets to be slackened at the end of each session. (iv) Tennis shoes and suitable attire to be worn. (v) The courts are not to be used for any other non-related tennis activities without permission of the Management Committee. (vi) See the notice board regarding availability of the courts (vii) The courts are to be locked by the last users of the courts (viii) Arrangement of play on a Club evening to be the responsibility of a Committee member. (ix) Any alteration or addition to these rules can be made by the Management Committee, the rules will be displayed on the court notice board. Any changes made to the rules after the AGM will be agreed at the following AGM